Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Living the Ordinary Extraordinary

After last night's class, a student asked me a question that no one has ever asked me before. The student, who was new to Empowered Yoga but not new to spiritual practice, asked me if I had opened up my third eye.
The third eye is where the Hindus respectfully wear the red dot. The third eye is referred to as the Eye of Intuition and is one of the Seven Chakras within the human body. I responded "No, I have not." He looked at me with a puzzled expression on his face and asked, "Well then why do you practice?" I told him that I practice so that I can be a better husband, a better Dad and a nicer person within this world.

I have no aspirations for anything extraordinary--I aspire to live the ordinary life extraordinarily. He smiled, and said that he understood. During over conversation, he told me that he was off to India to study with a guru. It prompted me to share something with him: "I searched for years only to come full circle and realize that what I was looking for was right here. Maybe you will find what you are looking for in India, but maybe it is right here and you are unable to see it." After long pause, he spoke. "Maybe you are right", he said. I replied, "Maybe I am and maybe I am not-- but either way you will find out."

It reminds me of the last chapter in a modern day book that is bound to become a classic. The book is called "Light on Life", by 91-year-old Yoga Master BKS Iyengar. He tells the reader that he spent the majority of his life as a seeker and it is only now that he sees clearly. He urges the reader not to make the same mistake that he has made. Iyengar is asking us to stop looking outside of ourselves and start looking within. Stop thinking that some moment around the corner will complete us. Stop thinking that if our lives were different, they would somehow be complete. This kind of thinking postpones our happiness until the future. One day, we realize that we are old, and that we missed the whole point of life-- this moment is enough, be appreciative to be alive. Enjoy your life now.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Interestingly – I had a similar experience Monday night.
Before class the student who you spoke of in your blog (I am really pretty sure it was the same individual) introduced himself to me, shook my hand, and asked me how long I have been practicing. I replied that I have been practicing about 3 years, and he said to me that he could tell by my eyes, because I looked more peaceful than most people. This came as a real surprise to me because “peaceful” is something I have never been accused of being. It got me to thinking though, that perhaps I am just beginning to really practice yoga, not just practice postures. It is a rare gift we are given when someone has the ability to see things about us that we can not yet see.

Johnny Gillespie said...

Jacqueline, You are right it was he and thanks for your comments. What a beautiful compliment he paid you--nama