Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's just my little toe

My wife and I were at a party this weekend. As I was talking with another guest at the party, I could not help but notice that she was favoring one foot. I asked her what was wrong. She said, "Oh it's nothing--I just broke my little toe." My wife turned to me right away and said, "Shut up--don't say a word." Sara knows the way I think and she is very educated on movement principles herself. She really knows her stuff and understands the independent nature of the human body and mind. I said nothing and just let it go.
Two of the three arches in the foot connect to the little toe. These arches serve to handle compressional forces and absorb shock while standing, walking, running etc. Basically, if you are on your feet, the arches are meant to be working. When the little toe is not functioning, the arches of the feet are
not functioning, and the joints above the foot- such as the ankles, knees, hips, spinal column, etc-are each working even harder and are subject to more compression within each joint.
Most people I speak with don't seem to understand how the body is interdependent and how everything effects everything. I find that it is the tendency of every one's mind, and not just mine, to possess a narrow focus. We have trouble seeing how everything is connected and related.
I would certainly be unaware of this truth if not for the hundreds and thousands of moments of focused attention on my yoga mat. My practice has truly taught me that the smallest adjustment in my foot can adjust my neck or shoulder--it is truly amazing to experience this connection.
Life is very much the same--our thoughts, actions and inaction's within each and every moment will affect the people near us and the world beyond us. We are all living in this cause and effect relationship and there is nothing that is not felt... that is truly something that is worth contemplating.

No comments: