Friday, May 30, 2008

Driving to School

The other morning Jimmy (my son) followed me out to the car. I was loading the car so that I could take him to school. I had a podcast playing from the night before that began playing once I turned the car on. Jimmy got in the car and began listening. I forgot something in the house and had to go back in leaving Jimmy in the car. When I came back, Jimmy was sitting there listening to the podcast. I apologized for leaving the podcast on and asked him what he wanted to listen to. Jimmy replied that this was just fine. WOW! My 8-year-old son wants to listen to a dharma (truth) talk. As we drove to school I kept looking back at Jimmy and was amazed that he was attentively listening. The podcast ended with 10 minutes to go before arriving at his school. Our conversation went like this: 

Johnny: Did you like it? 

Jimmy: Yes.

Johnny: What was the biggest thing you learned?

Jimmy:  The importance of being present. 

Johnny: Why is it important to be present?

Jimmy: You will miss stuff if you don’t pay attention .

Johnny: Does your mind act crazy sometimes?

Jimmy: Laughing at the question, he said, “Yes it does”

Johnny: So can you understand that you can watch your thoughts and sometimes see that they are crazy, not you? 

Jimmy: Yes, I can see my thoughts.

Johnny: Ok Jimmy, this is the last thing I want to say. If you are able to watch your thoughts, then who are you?

Jimmy: I guess I am something more than what I think.

Johnny: Exactly Jimmy! Your potential in this life will come from developing a relationship with what can watch thought. Do you understand this Jimmy? 

Jimmy: I think so

I am very conscious with those in my life to not be a preacher, but to still share the truth with them in a way that helps them live a happier and healthy life. At 8 Jimmy is beginning to understand the power he possesses as a human being. I was extremely proud of Jimmy this morning for listening and applying contemplation. Thoughts can very much be a problem—our problem can be found in our relationship to thought. If we invest in negative thinking, it will expand and grow, and eventually we will become those thoughts. If we learn to dismiss negative thinking and focus more on positive thoughts, our life will be much less stressful and much more enjoyable

No comments: