Monday, May 18, 2009

It's not just about the Journey

I spent the past weekend in bed with some kind of viral flu--I had a fever of 103, chills and sweats, dry heaving--wah-wah-wah. So you get the point--the toughest part is that I spent the last three months training for the Delaware Relay Marathon. The race was Sunday --needless to say, I could not run. A similar thing happened this past February- I was three practices away from completing the Yoga Challenge. I came down with a sickness and missed completing the challenge.

So the saying goes, "It is all about the journey." I truly believe that the journey, or the process, is a huge part of the equation, yet it's not the full equation. We often use this expression in order to focus on here and now, and to realize that the true prize is in the process. I no longer believe it is all about the journey.
The destination or goal is equally as important as the journey or process. The goal is something in the future. When you think of your goal in the present moment it motivates you and reminds you why you are doing what you are doing here and now. When there is a destination or a goal, there is a purpose that can be felt in the present moment. That purpose lights up your path so your journey becomes more crystal clear. The clarity you obtain by having a goal has the potential to infuse you with passion that can keep you enthusiastic and motivated within each step on the journey.

In the case of the Relay Marathon I immediately recognized when deciding to run that I could not just go out and run 6.5 miles--I had to train for it. I started a program three months ago and followed it closely. Before I started the program, I would go out and run whenever I wanted and run as fast or as long as I felt like on that particular day--some people would say this defines freedom. I thought it did, yet I was wrong. Do whatever you want and you will be free. However, I have discovered that for me, this defines laziness, lack of motivation, and even confusion. When you are not in touch with a purpose, there are very few people that can continue to do something with intensity, passion and consistency.

Knowing each week that I had to run a certain amount of miles with a particular pace held me accountable. There were so many days that the so-called freedom runner would have not run or dogged it. It was the destination--the goal that held me accountable in the present moment. It was discipline that helped me discover true freedom.

I feel great about my commitment. I just wish I could have done the race. I have learned a lot about the importance of having a goal and getting clear on my intentions. The largest lesson I have learned is that the clearer I am with what I want my future to be the more powerful the now can be.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Goals can be powereful motivators and powerful tools. they can also help provide structure and external motivation to complement the internal discipline.
However, goals can become prisons when reaching the goal outweighs other considerations, like health or family. It takes courage and determination to stick to a discipline and reach a goal, but it takes just as much discipline and courage to know when to back off and perhaps choose not to meet a goal in order to let our bodies and sometimes minds heal.
For example, trying to come back from an injury or illness (like maybe pneumonia, for example) too quickly can cause unnecessary suffering (additional illnesses) and can cause families and friends to be concerned.
We all have many demands on our lives, it is important to be open to listening to our bodies and those who are important to us to temper our goals and desires with gentleness and love.
Take care -
Jacqueline

Dominick said...

Thank you for your great post. I too find that having a goal helps me see the path in front of me more clearly.

I have recently started running 5 k's. I never considered myself a runner but setting a goal of running in a race has helped me follow a running regime I would normally not follow. Now I feel great about running and am doing at least 2 more races in the next few months!

Thanks again. I always find you blog inspiring. By the way, if you have any training tips or programs to pass along, I would love to hear them.

Unknown said...

Johnny, we missed having you on the team but not to worry - there will be other races! You can jump in a 5k next week if you want to test your months of training.
I agree with you - process is useless without purpose. In running, it's the little things that matter and add up and become very important. But get too sidetracked with the little things and you'll miss the bigger picture. Running certainly is a test of your endurance and fitness, but it's that mental toughness you develop and accountability of your own actions that translates into your everyday life. Hopefully you'll find that overcoming the challenges that running presents makes everything else in your life seem manageable. I know that's the case for me! See you in class...get better!!
-Lauren