Monday, February 2, 2009

75 to 25

Saturday afternoon I was sitting by a pool in Costa Rica then hours later I am in freezing temperatures. I went from one polarity to another. This is metaphorical for being on retreat and then in the blink of an eye, being back in your real everyday life.

In my last class Saturday morning I gave some helpful hints on reentry into society after a retreat.
  1. As soon as you land into your respective airport notice your surroundings and the speed at which everything is moving.
  2. As you are picked up by family and friends notice your heightened awareness and let this awareness see people with a greater sense of openness and appreciation.
  3. No one else was on the retreat so don't expect those in your life to be any different. You are the one who is different. (Non-judgemental of course)
  4. Don't speak too deeply about your experience. Just tell people it was life changing.
  5. Realize that without a daily practice you too will fall back into the speed and potential unconsciousness of life

What makes a retreat powerful is incorporating the teachings into daily life. If you have never been on retreat make it a goal to someday attend one. They can be truly life changing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was life changing and yes entering into the real world is challenging and overwhelming. Yet, the experience and friends you meet on the journey pull you through and make you realize how truly blessed we are as humans to have other eyes to look deeply into their souls to connect to humanity.

Jason said...

I'm really enjoying this blog. I'm starting my first yoga class this week and am curious/optimistic about what effect practice will have on my life. I'll be sure to check back here.

-Jason