Monday, August 25, 2008

Driving

All the activities in my daily life have become part of my practice in developing a mindfulness practice. The act of pausing during a particular activity and bringing attention to my view has developed over the past several years of practice. This has brought a greater sense of stability and calmness into my life. Many times when I stop and pay attention, my mind is doing one of two things—leaning into the next moment or holding onto something that happened yesterday, a week ago or longer. 

I have learned that my mind tends to lean more than to hold onto past memories. I believe this is because I am growing a business and a family and living in an accelerated and fast time in history. I have noticed that the leaning mind can create uneasiness and perpetuate unawareness. One of the major times I notice this is when driving to and from work. More recently I have begun driving without any music or podcasts on. I watch my speed, focus on driving and relax with my breathing. It is amazing to feel the difference once arrive at my destination. 

Pausing and bringing attention to any activity with a non-judgmental state of awareness can really help you cultivate happiness. The more we give ourselves over to the activity at hand, the more the activity becomes a stabilizing exercise for your mind. The more we participate in activities physically and at the same time mentally perform something else, the more neurotic the mind can become. 

For me, consciously driving and not speeding while talking on the cell phone every time I am in the car is a real practice. It is something I will be practicing for the rest of my life. For you this could be a practice. Maybe there is something else you inattentively tend to do with your body. Try giving yourself over to the activity and notice how you feel after you complete the task. It will certainly feel different. Notice there is a calming effect when doing something physically with your full attention. That calmness is the absence of a mind that leans and clings—it is a state of mental clarity and stability. It is Being Empowered.

No comments: