Monday, August 11, 2008

6 Zen Masters

Yesterday morning, I was awakened by my daughter Leia at 6 am. Most mornings she wakes up in a good mood but not this morning. As I tended to her, I walked downstairs to our 9-year-old Yorkshire terrier “Candy” who was running to the door. If I don’t react fast enough, Candy will do her business right on the floor. I let her out as Liam was crying in the bedroom with Sara. It was Sunday morning and Sara wanted to sleep, so I went into the bedroom and picked up Liam. Sara could get a few more minutes of rest while I took both Leia and Liam into the kitchen to start the coffee. Of course, at this point, I had forgotten about Candy. I quickly remembered and went outside to find her in the street. I felt my temper rise as I heard the thoughts go through my head, “Candy, how many times have I told you about walking in the street?” As I am walked back into the house, Finny our 4-year-old and very protective Wheaten Terrier is barking at me because I am outside. That is what he does; barks! I went back inside and Leia and Liam are fighting over some toy. I quickly helped them resolve their dispute and put a cartoon on to calm them down. Sara and Jimmy are still sleeping.

At any given time, whether it is because one of my three kids, my wife, or the two dogs, life is challenging the moment. Life is not about eliminating the disturbances so you can find peace. Life is about finding peace amongst the disturbances. My 6 Zen Masters are constantly teaching me how to do this. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need some Zen Masters!

Anonymous said...

"Life is not about eliminating the disturbances, so you can find peace. Life is about finding peace amongst the disturbances."
This is my life. At times, when a "disturbance" happens, and they happen quite frequently in my life, I say to myself, "This is God's way of slowing me down--to be more attentive and careful." or "This is a great opportunity to use my skills and strategies to try to meet the needs of this challenge." When one thinks disturbances are happening to me more than peace, it's harder to remain balanced. Your words about finding peace amongst the disturbances helps shift the mind's perspective, so does the YOGA! Have a happy, healthy day. Yoga forever, MJ30