Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pure Potential

The word spiritual comes from the Latin prefix, spiritus, which translates as breath. The central theme of spiritual practice is coming back to the present moment. You develop a relationship with what you experience when your attention is focused on something other than thought. The breath is the anchor of this process and is intimately connected to your state of mind. Even using the word spiritual can get in the way for many people. Some of the most spiritually advanced people I have met in my life don’t actually consider themselves spiritual or care to think of it as such. They are just good people who see beyond concepts. I love these people because there is no pretentiousness in who they are.  

We have all heard the statistic that the average human uses 7-9% of their brain. What is possible with the other 90%? Some say humans like Einstein, Jesus Christ and the Buddha tapped into the greater depths of their brains—explaining their superhuman feats. I am sure we could create a list of people who have been superhuman and all of them would tell us the same thing. Their feats, discoveries and superpowers came from a place beyond their own thought. If this is the case, why doesn’t every human being cultivate this power? 

When we draw our attention away from our thoughts and onto the breath, we become anchored in the now. As our minds start to become more placid, paradoxically we become more alert and attentive. Meditation is an exercise that strengthens our ability to stay in this state of presence. That is right—meditation is an exercise that strengthens our ability to connect to our basic essence as human beings. View meditation as lifting weights for the mind. The more often you return to the present moment, the more connected you become to your pure potential. Your pure potential is beyond concepts, thoughts and words. In Zen they call this state, “No mind”

Research shows that when people are meditating, they tend to move from a mind dominated by Beta waves (Busy) to a mind of Alpha and Theta waves (creative and relaxed). Research has also shown that activity between the right and left hemispheres of the brain balances out, thus we begin using both sides of the brain.  I’ve never met anyone who said “I just can’t seem to think enough.” I do meet people who tell me they just can’t seem to stop thinking so much. When the mind is flooded with too much thinking, stress and lack of clarity can become the theme for your life. 

Another misconception is that you have to sit to meditate. Ideally, this would be best, but you don’t have to do this to start. I meditate all the time. Driving in the car, washing dishes, listening to someone talk in a conversation. I love to meditate when I run. I will bring my attention to my breath and when it wanders to a thought, I am aware of it and return to focusing on the breath. You can do it! Before you move onto another website or your next task, try it. Bring your attention to the breath. Breathe in through the nose and feel the air come through the nostrils, down the throat inflating the lungs. Pause at the top of the inhale, exhale slowly feel the air as it leaves the lungs. Notice how you feel after doing this just once. Congratulations! You have just meditated! Now try incorporating this into other activities and you will begin noticing settling changes throughout your day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, I went to my first Vinyasa class and I thought I would die - not only from the physical work, but also from embarassment as I watched some seasoned veterans perform what seemed to be that of a contortionist. It was just when I was ready to cave (physically and emotionally), you stated "this is a 10 year pose", and then "you never step into the same river twice". It was at that point I realized that was my "now", and as I continue to practice I will improve and move forward. Each day will provide a new "now" that will always be better than the last with persistance and practice. Thanks for being so understanding, insightful,and patient!